The Smith College Relief Unit in October– October 1917, that is!

As you probably know by now, my upcoming book, Band of Sisters, is about the Smith College Relief Unit, eighteen determined Smith alums who went off to the front during World War I to bring aid to French villagers on the front lines, women and children whose homes had been destroyed by the Germans.

So I thought it might be fun to share some pictures and snippets about what the Smithies were doing at this time of year back in 1917….

Here’s what the Smith College Relief Unit were doing in October of 1917. (Spoiler: not trick-or-treating.)

By October, the women of the Smith College Relief Unit were settled into their headquarters at the ruined chateau at Grecourt (pictured below)…

…distributing milk and basic necessities and working to get schools up and running (see adorable French schoolchildren, pictured below)…

…offering medical care, and driving around in the deep, deep mud of the Somme with their little traveling store (also pictured below).

They’d had some serious drama (not pictured below, and, no, I’m not telling you what; you’ll have to read about it in the book), but they were hanging in there and doggedly trying to make it work….

They reported home that the rainy season had begun and that the temperature was like Greenland at night– but that they’d had a steady stream of “French, British, and Americans for tea in the afternoon– Quakers, engineers, cavalry, aviators, and civilians– it was killing and our guest book looks as if we were collecting signatures!”

But can the women keep going as the rain– and the shells– continue to fall?

Band of Sisters is available for pre-order from your favorite local bookseller or your favorite non-local bookseller.  Or even a bookseller who’s not quite your favorite, but just happens to be there and sell books.

7 Comments

1. Nihla Harrell on June 11, 2021 at 3:41 pm

I just finished the book, I have so much admiration for these ladies. I can’t begin to imagine what they went through. They are true hero’s. Thank you so much for writing about them so people can know.

• Lauren Willig on June 14, 2021 at 2:27 pm

Thanks so much! I feel so honored to have gotten to tell their story– what they accomplished was truly remarkable!

2. Jenni on July 3, 2021 at 11:10 pm

Just finished the book, it was so moving! I feel like I am friends with the characters and they are near and dear to my heart, well most of them. Thank you for posting the pictures. Now I want to know more. I feel our world today needs to know how bad war is so no one ever has to endure what so many went through. Your words certainly brought such vivid visions.

• Lauren Willig on July 4, 2021 at 12:53 pm

Thanks so much, Jenni! It means so much to know that the characters became so real to you!

3. Kathleen Turner on July 4, 2021 at 12:35 pm

Don’t know if you will read this but I am one of the reviewers in my book club in Sept. We will be reviewing Hello Girls and Band of Sisters. I would like to put together a slide show of pictures, letters and old postcards etc.
    would you have anything to offer? I have attached my email if you ate able to share anything.

• Lauren Willig on July 4, 2021 at 12:54 pm

Hi, Kathleen! If you email me at [email protected] I can send you something next week when I’m back at my computer.

4. Kelly on July 6, 2021 at 10:35 am

Hello Lauren
    I recently finished Band of Sisters. Wonderful! I love historical novels. I was able to picture the people and scenery in my mind. I found your book in Woman’s World Magazine. I have recommended this book to my friends via Facebook and am going to start the Secret History of the Pink Carnation very soon. Thank you for all the research and time you invested in this book.